What killed the legacy database? The combined forces of Big Data, cloud, and agile / devops have revealed the fatal flaws in legacy RDBMS.
- Big Data breaks legacy RDBMS: Beyond the hype of analytics, there is a huge wave of new Big Data apps (global web, mobile, social, machine data, etc.) from both startups and established enterprises. Legacy RDBMS architectures were not built to support the increasing transaction volume, large data set sizes, and high concurrency/users. Big Data breaks legacy RDBMS.
- The cloud adds cost: The emergence of the cloud has fundamentally changed where apps are built and deployed. But there has been one critical part of the stack – the legacy relational database – that has defied the ease and economics of the Cloud. All their inherent scale, complexity. and cost issues just shifted into the cloud with them.
- Agile development abhors rigidity: Instead of drawn out timelines of big releases, software evolves on rapid release schedules. More now than ever, both developers and ops teams are demanding the capability and flexibility that a legacy database simply can’t deliver.
The combination of these forces has left the relational database in the dust. Until now.
Say hello to Clustrix’s scale-out SQL Database-as-a-Service
The era of costly, complex, and non-scaleable databases is over. I’m pleased to blog about the latest addition to the Clustrix offering—the revolutionary Clustrix scale-out Database-as-a-Service solution. Architected perfectly for the cloud, Big Data, and devops, Clustrix DBaaS is simply the most scalable, performant, and fault tolerant SQL database available in the cloud. Its shared-nothing, fully distributed architecture leveraging commodity hardware and Flash (SSD) storage gives us the opportunity to bring both radical simplicity and disruptive economics to our DBaaS. How disruptive?
Clustrix scale-out SQL DBaaS is:
- 30% cheaper than Amazon RDS for a 1 Tb configuration, and we’re just getting started. Amazon RDS maxes out at 1 TB; Clustrix can expand linearly and incrementally to whatever size and power your applications need.
- 20 times more capacity at 1/3 the price than Xeround.
So why should you care?
One of the most critical things you will do for your team and your business is to help put in place a modern data management architecture – with the power to deal with Big Data, the economics to exploit the cloud, and the flexibility to be agile.
The right technology can be the engine for strategic growth; the wrong choices will see your teams reinventing database technology inside every application – crushing innovation, costing you a fortune, and wasting time you can never recover.
Whether you go with Clustrix’ DBaaS or private cloud appliance, you are choosing a modern scale-out relational database that provides a trustworthy and scalable foundation for growth.
Big Data Friendly: Even in the starting configuration, Clustrix distributed DBaaS can handle over 50,000 transactions per second. The architecture is also self-healing for high availability and fault tolerance. For a quick video overview of Clustrix architectural innovations, click here.
Built for the Cloud: Clustrix is the first ever Flash-based Database-as-a-Service. It’s also the only database that supports write intensive workloads with terabytes of data. Featuring MySQL compatibility, Clustrix is a perfect replacement for a MySQL deployment that needs to scale, or a MySQL replica in the cloud for redundancy and availability.
DevOps brains, agile flexibility: The Clustrix database is more than just scalable; it’s incredibly flexible. With native support for JSON documents, developers can start schema-less prototyping and always do online schema changes, without sacrificing the power of SQL ,transactions, or consistency. Using the Clustrix DevOps management console, developers and operators have access to real-time system health and query performance. Optimizing application and database performance was never so easy.
So what is Clustrix-as-a-Service? It’s a relational database that picks up where the RDBMS legacy database leaves off and meets the needs of today’s Big Data environment. Innovative. Disruptive. Simple. Period.